Why are so many people turned off by Horror?

Whether it be a book signing or a writers conference people definitely have a different look on their face when they get to my table. Their eyes get wide when they see my book covers and 9 times out of 10 they do the fake little shiver then say "Oh, I don't like Horror. I have nightmares" In turn I want to vomit. The question for me is why is scary stuff such a big deal to people? It's like trying to sell to The Cowardly Lion and a thousand of his clones. Okay, you have nightmares. Is that really a big deal? You're telling me you have a nightmare and you're afraid of the dark for 6 months? Heck, sometimes I enjoy a good nightmare, it gives me story material. One scene in my book "Snowy Pines" came from a nightmare. It's like people think they have to read something that's all Unicorns and rainbows to enjoy it. I mean, Life doesn't work that way. This world can be a very bad place and to pretend otherwise is foolish to me. Yes, my books are Dark and yes they can be gory. In the end though good always triumphs over evil. It's like real life. Most people have to struggle and go through very dark times before they reach their goals in life. The only thing I can think of is that my mind works so much different than everyone else's. I don't know if my mind is that much stronger or what or if years of Horror has just desensitized me. But, ghosts, goblins, demons, blood and gore are just not that big a deal to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CWC Season 1 Episode 3