Horror Sequels

Now I will start this by saying as I have before that this is merely my opinion and is in no way stated as fact, except in my mind. When it comes to most movies, people will say "The original was a lot better." This is especially true for Horror movies since they tend to have a minimum of two or three sequels and in many cases a lot more. I just got through watching Candy man 2: Farewell to flesh and I enjoyed it. Then I went to look at what Wikipedia had to say about the series and learned that many thought the sequel was decent, but kind of sluggish. The comments about Candy Man 3: Day of the dead caught my attention as on 13% of people had a favorable review of it. Now, I watched it before this one and I thought it was a decent movie. I have come to the conclusion that either I just find something to appreciate in anything Horror or my taste in movies sucks. (Perhaps a combination of the two.) But, getting back to my original point, the further you go up into a Horror movie series, it seems the reviews get worse and Worse. Movies like the original Halloween and Friday the 13th are Art and are most likely never going to be repeated. The problem it having a good original movie or book or what have you, is the people get spoiled by it and nothing that comes after that can live up to it. However, I just go into these movies, even if it is the same old formula and enjoy them anyway. Most of the Friday the 13th sequels have an average of somewhere around 5.4 probably on IMDB. Considering there are 12 of them that's not bad really. This is how I rate a Friday the 13th movie. Was Jason in it? Check. Were there a bunch of kills? Check. Were the deaths done in a variety of creative ways? Check. Good movie in my book. 7 to 8 stars. That simple. Then you look at some poor sequels like Leprechaun 4 in space. I think it has like a 2.7 rating or something like that. I think i gave it an 8. Here is my logic. Yes, the concept of a Leprechaun marrying an alien Princess in space is ridiculous. But, you can't take it that seriously as I think the writers intended this to be a Horror Comedy. Did it make me laugh? Yes. did it entertain me? Yes. Therefore I think it did what it set out to accomplish. I mean, Graphics, plot? Who cares? It was fun to watch. If the average rating of a movie is a five, with me it will most likely be a 7. If it's rated a 1 I'll probably find something to make it a 3 or 4, because I just love Horror. It would have to be a REALLY BAD movie, for me to call it garbage. I mean, it's no secret I can't stand the Resident evil movies, but that's because of the plot not following anywhere near the videogames, but they are well made movies for what they are. Another thing about ratings is that you have EVERYONE rating them. This consists of guys who never watch Horror and just want to get their girlfriend scared, people just bored and looking for a change of pace, people who only watch Horror for Halloween, ETC. I believe if you had a way for only Die hard Horror movie fans to rate them, a lot of these ratings would go up, if only slightly. But, I have rambled on enough my Ravens and I hope you enjoyed my ramblings. I'll see you next time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why are so many people turned off by Horror?

CWC Season 1 Episode 3